Thursday, 2 December 2021

Taxi driver beat two men to death after coming face to face with wife’s lover

BRADFORD: A taxi driver who became enraged when he came face to face with his wife’s lover beat him and another man to death before fleeing to Pakistan, a court has heard. Mohammed Zubair, 36, used a weapon in the attack on “defenceless” Ahmedin Khyel and Imran Khan, which left the living room of his Bradford home covered in blood, Bradford Crown Court heard. Zubair then drove his taxi to a quiet and secluded country lane, where he “dumped” the bodies, the jury was told. Opening the case for the prosecution, Tahir Khan QC said Zubair found that his wife, Kainaat Bibi, had been having an affair with 35-year-old Afghan electrician Mr Khyel, who lived in the East Ham area of London with his wife and seven children. The court heard that Mrs Bibi visited Mr Khyel in London during a temporary separation from her husband and he would visit her in Bradford, where the pair would have sex in her family home while Zubair was out. It is believed the defendant found a phone his wife used to contact Mr Khyel, who told a friend he had sent Zubair messages telling him his wife was having an affair. On the day of their deaths on May 10 2011, Mr Khyel visited Zubair’s home on Heath Terrace with his friend, 27-year-old Afghan labourer Mr Khan. The court heard the pair took their shoes off as a sign of respect, having been led to believe they would receive a “warm welcome”.

Mr Khan said the attack that followed was “ferocious” and “brutal”. He said: “The prosecution suggests that what happened after these men came into the house was Zubair became enraged when he saw the man who had sexual relations with his wife standing in front of him in his living room. “What followed then must have been an attack with a weapon or weapons on two defenceless, unarmed men. “Zubair, at the very least, taking a leading role in what followed and venting his fury on these men for what he perceived the humiliation he had been subjected to.” Mr Khan added: “The prosecution suggest Khyel may have been murdered because of his affair with this married woman. “Imran may just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.” Both men suffered fractures to their skulls that drove bone fragments into their brains and resulted in parts of the brain being pushed out of their skulls, the court heard. Mr Khan said Mr Khyel suffered at least six blows to the head, some after he had been knocked out, and his friend tried to defend himself “while the blows were raining down on him”. The barrister told the court a “distinctive” pattern on some of the injuries was similar to that found on a dumb bell bar recovered from Zubair’s home. The jury of five men and seven women heard that, although an effort had been made to clean the living room, blood staining matching the DNA of both men was found on the floors and walls and also in Zubair’s taxi. Mr Khan said: “We suggest the ferocity and the violence inflicted on the victims was such that the blood staining projected around the walls and on to the ceiling of the room.” The court heard that two drivers saw Zubair’s taxi shortly before they discovered the men’s bodies on the road in Tong village and a police investigation was launched. Zubair flew to Pakistan the following day after his mother, Arab Sultana, booked and paid for his tickets, the jury was told. Mr Khan said: “Following the discovery of the bodies, a double murder investigation began and we say that led the police to the address at Heath Terrace. “But, by that time, Zubair had fled and was safely out of our law’s reach in Pakistan.” Zubair denies two counts of murder. The trial continues.

Check Also

UN warns of worst ‘cascade of human rights setbacks in our lifetimes’

Refugees who fled the conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region ride a bus going to the ...