Thursday, 28 October 2021

Suicide blast at election centre in Kabul kills 57

kabul

A security person collects evidence at the site of a suicide attack outside a voter registration center in Kabul, Afghanistan (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

KABUL: A suicide bomber struck a voter registration center in the Afghan capital on Sunday, killing at least 57 people in an attack claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Public Health Ministry spokesman Wahid Majro said another 112 people were wounded in Sunday’s attack, updating an earlier toll.

Gen. Daud Amin, the Kabul police chief, said the suicide bomber targeted civilians who had gathered to receive national identification cards. The large explosion echoed across the city, shattering windows miles away from the attack site and damaging several nearby vehicles. Police blocked all roads to the blast site, with only ambulances allowed in. Local TV stations broadcast live footage of hundreds of distraught people gathered at nearby hospitals seeking word about loved ones.

ISIS has claimed responsibility in a statement carried by its Aamaq news agency, saying it targeted Shiite “apostates.”

Afghanistan will hold parliamentary elections in October.

Last week, three police officers responsible for guarding voter registration centers in two Afghan provinces were killed by militants, according to authorities.

kabul attack

Elsewhere in Afghanistan, at least five people were killed when their vehicle struck a roadside bomb in the northern Baghlan province. Zabihullah Shuja, spokesman for the provincial police chief, said four other people were wounded in Sunday’s blast in Puli Khomri, the capital of the province.

The Taliban routinely target security forces and government officials with roadside bombs, which often end up killing civilians.

In the northern Balkh province, a district police chief died of his wounds after being shot Saturday during a gunbattle with insurgents, according to Sher Jan Durrani, spokesman for the provincial police chief. He said around a dozen insurgents were also killed in the battle, which is still underway.

Durrani identified the slain commander as Halim Khanjar, police chief for the Char Bolak district.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killing.

The U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan condemned the attack.

“This senseless violence shows the cowardice and inhumanity of the enemies of democracy and peace in #Afghanistan,” he tweeted.

Check Also

UN warns of worst ‘cascade of human rights setbacks in our lifetimes’

Refugees who fled the conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region ride a bus going to the ...

Leave a Reply