The 2004 champion at the All England Club, who returned last month from a 15-month doping ban, said on Friday in a post on her website that she will not request a wild card into the main draw at Wimbledon.
“Because of my improved ranking after the first three tournaments of my return, I will also be playing the Qualifying of Wimbledon in Roehampton, and will not be requesting a wild card into the main draw,” the five-time Grand Slam champion wrote.
Earlier this week, the former top-ranked Russian had her request for a French Open wild card rejected by Roland Garros officials. The snub was criticised by the WTA, which said there were “no grounds to penalise her further.”
The 30-year-old Sharapova, ranked only 211th but set to break into the top 200 on Monday, retired from her second-round match at the Italian Open on Tuesday after apparently injuring her left thigh.
“I have already started getting treatment on the injury I sustained a few days ago in Rome, and will begin my preparation as soon I get better,” Sharapova wrote.
Since the end of her ban, Sharapova has used wild-card entries to play three events on the WTA Tour to get her world ranking up to a level where she can automatically enter anywhere again.
In her first tournament in Stuttgart, Sharapova won three matches to reach the semifinals before losing to Kristina Mladenovic.