LONDON: Bread sauce, Uncle Martin, batteries for the presents, crackers. There’s always something you only remember at the last minute. Worse, even if you’ve done your planning perfectly, things break at the worst possible time – and having children and pets running about in a crowded house hardly helps matters. So, to give you the best chance possible of making sure Christmas Day goes as well as it can here are the closing times of all the major shops, DIY stores and supermarkets.
The bad news is a lot of these will be closing early. This is who’s doing what:
- ASDA : The majority of stores will close earlier than normal at 8pm. Use this store locator tool to check the details for your local branch.
- Sainsbury’s : Many stores will be closing earlier than usual, you can check your local store here .
- Tesco: All UK stores will be open, but Extra, Superstore and Metro branches will close at 7pm while Tesco Express branches will close at 10pm.
- Morrisons: All UK stores will open from 6am to 6pm, with the exception of Acton, Borehamwood, Brentford, Camden, Ealing, Harrow, Holloway, Peckham, Queensbury, Shepherds Bush, Southwark, Stamford Hill, Stratford, Wimbledon, Wood Green and Yiewsley stores which will close at 7pm. The Manchester Piccadilly store will close at 9pm.
- Waitrose: The majority of Waitrose supermarkets and Little Waitrose convenience shops will be open until 6pm. All Shell and Welcome Break stores will trade as usual.
- Lidl: Most stores will be closing at 6pm.
- Aldi: All stores will be closing at 6pm
Your last, best hope for presents, toys and any extra tableware or anything else you need. This is how late they’ll be open:
- Debenhams: Trading times vary nationwide, but the majority of stores will close at 5pm
- John Lewis: There is a bit of variation, but most stores will be closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve.
- M&S: Many stores close at 5pm, but some are open until 7pm and BP garages are open as usual. Check your nearest store here
- House of Fraser: These vary by store, but you’re in risky territory after 5pm but some are open as late as 7pm. Check your nearest branch here.
- Selfridges: Selfridges London is open until 5:30pm, however, Birmingham and Manchester Exchange Square hours may vary. See all times here.
- Harrods: 5pm.
- Matalan: 4pm.
Argos, Boots, Primark and DIY stores
For last minute presents, or simple because you need to fix something before the family descends, here are the closing times for Boots, DIY stores Argos and Primark.
Oh, and for all your other needs, we’ve rounded up all the opening times for the nation’s major shopping centres in the link below too.
- Argos: Most stores close at 5pm, but there is some variation. You can check yours here.
- Boots: Stores are open their usual hours. Check the exact opening times of your local stores here.
- Primark: Most shops are open usual hours but some stores may close earlier. Check the exact opening times of your local stores here.
- Wickes: 4pm.
- B&Q: 4pm.
- Homebase: 5pm.