Saturday, 10 April 2021

Dutch police arrest Utrecht shooting suspect

© ASSOCIATED PRESS Dutch counter terrorism police prepare to enter a house after a shooting incident in Utrecht, Netherlands, Monday, March 18, 2019. Police in the central Dutch city of Utrecht say on Twitter that “multiple” people have been injured as a result of a shooting in a tram in a residential neighborhood. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

NETHERLANDS: Dutch police arrested the suspect in a shooting on a tram in the city of Utrecht in which three people were killed, a police chief said.

“We have just been informed that the suspect has been arrested,” Utrecht police chief Rob van Bree told a news conference.

Police had earlier said they were searching for Turkish-born suspect Gokmen Tanis, 37, and issued a picture of him.

The head of the Dutch national counter-terrorism service, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, confirmed “the arrest of the main suspect for the shooting”.

He said authorities had lowered the threat level in Utrecht from the maximum level five as a result of the arrest.

Three people were killed and nine injured in a shooting in the Dutch city of Utrecht, the mayor said Monday, adding that authorities were working on the basis of it being a terrorist attack.

“At this stage, we can confirm three deaths and nine wounded, three of them seriously,” Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen said in a video statement on Twitter.

“We are working on the principle that it was a terrorist attack,” he added.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte had earlier said there were “possible deaths” and that a terrorist motive was “not excluded”.

Rutte told a brief press conference in The Hague with the country´s justice minister that there were “several wounded and possible deaths” in the incident.

Check Also

Britain slams ‘bullying’ Myanmar over London embassy standoff

Myanmar’s Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Kyaw Zwar Minn, waits unsuccessfully for an answer on ...

Leave a Reply