WASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump called the shooting on the Las Vegas strip that killed more than 50 people an “act of pure evil.”
In a somber address to the nation from the Diplomatic Room at the White House, Trump said Americans are joined in “sadness, shock and grief” at the attack – the country’s deadliest mass shooting in modern history.
“It was an act of pure evil,” Trump said.
“I want to thank the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and all of the first responders for their courageous efforts,” Trump said, praising them “for helping to save the lives of so many” and for quickly locating the shooter. “The speed with which they acted is miraculous and prevented further loss of life.”
The president said he will go to Las Vegas on Wednesday and will meet with Nevada’s governor, Brian Sandoval, and the city’s mayor, Carolyn Goodman, and Sheriff Joseph Lombardo, among others. He called it a “very sad moment for me, for everybody. … This is a very sad day.” The president did not respond to a question about gun control.
A previously announced trip by the president and first lady Melania Trump to survey storm damage in Puerto Rico on Tuesday will go on as scheduled, the White House told.
Prior to his remarks, Trump tweeted his “warmest condolences” to the victims of the shooting.
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017