Tuesday, 25 January 2022

De Villiers defends offer to play for South Africa at World Cup

CAPE TOWN: AB de Villiers said he did not expect to be included in South Africa’s squad for the Cricket World Cup after telling captain Faf du Plessis that he was available, as he clarified his role in a selection drama that blew up in England.

South Africa endured a miserable tournament, exiting with only three wins from their nine pool matches.

Their cause was not helped when it was reported that De Villiers, who had retired from international cricket in May 2018, had spoken to Du Plessis about making himself available on the eve of the team’s squad announcement.

That led to accusations that De Villiers, one of the best limited overs batsmen in the world, had been selfish in trying to force his way back into the squad.

He said, however, he was only reiterating what he had told an unnamed Cricket South Africa official a year earlier upon his retirement.

“Now the Proteas’ World Cup campaign is over, and the team cannot be distracted, I would like to respond to unjustified criticism of me during the tournament,” De Villiers said in a statement.

Check Also

Porsche to set up joint venture with Customcells

© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A Porsche Taycan electrical automobile (EV) is seen displayed throughout a ...

Leave a Reply