Sunday, 5 December 2021

British man shot in Philippines days before wedding

Tarek

MANILA: A British groom-to-be is fighting for life after being shot by robbers as he prepared for his wedding in the Philippines.

Tarek Naggar, 44, was attacked in the early hours of Thursday when he refused to hand over his wallet to scooter thieves, according to the Scottish Herald.

It said that his fiancee Angie witnessed the attack, which has left him critically injured and in intensive care.

Mr Naggar, of Milngavie in East Dunbartonshire, had been enjoying a drink with his partner in the city of Cebu ahead of their wedding day when they were approached by the robbers, the report said.

The attackers made off after the shooting with just £10 worth of local currency plus Mr Naggar’s credit cards.

Friends have set up a crowdfunding campaign to help meet his medical bills.

The Foreign and Commonweath Office (FCO) said it was aware of the case and were in touch with Mr Naggar’s family.

An spokeswoman said: “We are assisting a British national who was shot during a robbery in Cebu, Philippines, and are in touch with local authorities.”

Check Also

UN warns of worst ‘cascade of human rights setbacks in our lifetimes’

Refugees who fled the conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region ride a bus going to the ...

Leave a Reply