NEW DELHI: India has dismissed the latest arrest of Lashkar-e-Tayyiba founder Hafiz Saeed in Pakistan as yet another “drama” – just a day after United States President Donald Trump tweeted to claim credit for it.
After a ten year search, the so-called “mastermind” of the Mumbai Terror attacks has been arrested in Pakistan. Great pressure has been exerted over the last two years to find him!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 17, 2019
A day after Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed was arrested by Pakistan, India on Thursday said similar “drama” has taken place at least eight times since 2001, and the genuineness of the action will depend on whether he is tried for his terrorist activities.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said India hoped that Saeed will genuinely be brought to justice this time.
“This is not the first time that Hafiz Saeed has been arrested or detained. This drama has taken place at least eight times since 2001.
The question is whether this time it would be more than a cosmetic exercise and whether Saeed will be tried and sentenced for his terrorist activities,” he said at a weekly media briefing.
Many in New Delhi were surprised by the US President’s tweet that he had been arrested “after a ten-year-search”. Though the US Government announced a $ 10 million bounty on him, he has so far been living free at Lahore in Pakistan, often spewing venom against both India and America in public rallies. He was placed under house arrest several times in the past 10 years, but was always set free after a few months.