Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul comes under attack by insurgents

Intercontinental Hotel Kabul

KABUL: Eyewitnesses have claimed that insurgents have entered the Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital, the Afghan media reported.

Afghanistan’s Ministry of Interior Spokesperson Najib Danish confirmed the attack.

Security forces have cordoned off the area under attack, the interior ministry spokesperson stated.

Sources claim that heavy gunfire can be heard in the areas surrounding the hotel.

Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul

The hotel had earlier come under attack by gunmen on June 28, 2011.

At least 10 people had been reported dead at after up to four gunmen and four suicide bombers had forced their way into the hotel. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for the attack.

Afghan security forces found that there had been eight suicide bombers, said a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, Sediq Sediqi. All were dead.

Eight other people were killed, including one police officer, and eight were wounded, but the police were still going through the hotel room by room, and the final toll could rise, Mr. Sediqi said. All of the dead found so far were Afghans, he said.

Check Also

Suicide attack, casualties rock Afghanistan capital on election day

KABUL: A suicide bomber blew himself up in an area in the north of the ...

Leave a Reply