Monday, 9 December 2019

Huawei dismisses new suspension of ‘unjust’ United States ban

BEIJING: Huawei dismissed Washington’s three-month delay to a ban on US firms selling to the Chinese tech giant and said the decision would not change the fact it had been “treated unjustly”.

The US Commerce Department effectively suspended for a second time tough rules stopping the sale of components and services to the telecoms titan and a prohibition on buying equipment from it.

However, it also said it would add 46 more companies to its list of Huawei subsidiaries and affiliates that would be covered by the ban if it is implemented in full – taking the total on the list to more than 100.

The original ban was announced earlier this year by US authorities who claim it provides a backdoor for Chinese intelligence services – something the firm denies.

“It’s clear that this decision, made at this particular time, is politically motivated and has nothing to do with national security,” Huawei responded in a statement, adding that the actions “violate the basic principles of free market competition.”

“They are in no one’s interests, including US companies. Attempts to suppress Huawei’s business won’t help the United States achieve technological leadership” Huawei said.

“The extension of the Temporary General License does not change the fact that Huawei has been treated unjustly.”

Monday’s move means Huawei can continue to buy US-made semiconductors and other materials crucial to its phones and network equipment, and that US telecommunications companies can continue to buy Huawei’s networking equipment.

Check Also

Trump says Huawei is a security risk as NATO seeks secure 5G

WATFORD, England (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump said that Chinese telecommunication firm Huawei was ...

Leave a Reply