Monday, 24 June 2019

China yet again blocks anti-Azhar move at UN

File Photo

NEW YORK: China on Wednesday put on hold a request by Britain, France and the United States to add to the UN terror blacklist the leader of JeM, diplomats said. This is the fourth time China has blocked India’s bid to designate Azhar as a terrorist in the UNSC.

Earlier yesterday, China hinted that it may again block the move, stating that “the solution that is acceptable to all sides” is conducive to resolve the issue.

On Tuesday, New Delhi intensified its diplomatic engagement in New York, Washington and Beijing among other world capitals but it failed to convince China.

“We are disappointed by this outcome. This has prevented action against the leader of JeM,” India responded.

China has twice blocked – in 2016 and 2017 – attempts to impose sanctions on the JeM leader. The group itself was added to the terror list in 2001.

In a note sent to the council, China said it needed more time to examine the sanctions request targeting Masood Azhar, diplomats said.

India and Pakistan carried out air raids last month across their disputed Kashmir frontier in clashes that sent tensions soaring between the nuclear-armed countries.

Check Also

Iran diplomat calls talks with UK minister ‘repetitive’

TEHRAN: A top Iranian diplomat expressed disappointment after meeting a minister from Britain’s Foreign Office ...

Leave a Reply